A few months ago I promised I would write about my 50 favorite songs. Well, as it turns out, it’s not easy to choose 50 favorite songs. I like a lot of songs. Also – it’s hard to write a post like this when you’re living in Australia and traveling and sleeping and eating and basically just doing lots of other things.
Before we get started, here are a few things you should know:
– I did not use multiple songs from the same artist, which made it difficult to choose from some of my favorite bands like The Beatles, The Who, and Led Zeppelin.
– I did not include any jazz or classical songs – every song on here is post-1960.
– If I didn’t include those two qualifiers, the list would look entirely different and would be populated by only a handful of artists. Plus it’s just non-sensical to compare Beethoven with The Rolling Stones.
– I tried to be as honest as possible. I don’t think there are any embarrassing songs on here, but I really tried to make the list my true top 50 rather than what I thought would look best.
– Like my movies post, I didn’t rank them 50-1, because that would be impossible. The songs are just listed in alphabetical order.
– If you’re unfamiliar with the song or artist, do yourself a favor a click on the link. I wouldn’t steer you wrong.
– And finally, I chose these songs for a variety of reasons. They don’t necessarily have the best lyrics or the coolest guitar solos. I chose these songs because they define different points of my life. I associate them with the best experiences I’ve ever had. This is an entirely personal list.
A Day In the Life, The Beatles
All Right Now, Free
All Star, Smash Mouth
Angels, Robbie Williams
Beer, Reel Big Fish
Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
Box of Rain, Grateful Dead
Chelsea Dagger, The Fratellis
Closing Time, Semisoni
Come on Eileen, Dexy’s Midnight Runners
Dream On, Aerosmith
Drops of Jupiter, Train
Free Bird, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Fortunate Son, Creedence Clearwater Revival
Get Up Offa That Thing, James Brown
Gimme Shelter, The Rolling Stones
Hook, Blues Traveler
If I Could Give All My Love (Richard Manuel is Dead), Counting Crows
Imagine, John Lennon
Iris, Goo Goo Dolls
Jesus, Etc., Wilco
Kashmir, Led Zeppelin
Landed, Ben Folds
Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
Maggie May, Rod Stewart
Nothing Ever Hurt Like You, James Morrison
Ocean, John Butler Trio
Old Enough, The Raconteurs
One Headlight, The Wallflowers
The Only Living Boy in New York, Simon & Garfunkel
Rock’n Me, Steve Miller Band
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight), Bruce Springsteen
Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind
Times Like These, Foo Fighters
Tiny Dancer, Elton John
Too Much, Dave Matthews Band
Try a Little Tenderness, Otis Redding
Under Cover of Darkness, The Strokes
Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Jimi Hendrix
Wake Up, Arcade Fire
Walcott, Vampire Weekend
The Way, Fastball
A Whiter Shade of Pale, Procul Harum
Werewolves of London, Warren Zevon
White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane
Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd
Won’t Get Fooled Again, The Who